To update you on the battle of the bug, things didn't get too bad. Jenna did come down with cold symptoms but it occurred on Wednesday, two days earlier than my estimation.
Tonight I'm pleased to report both Jazmine and Jenna are well on the road to recovery; only an occasional sneeze and cough and the mucus factor has decreased significantly. Jenna's blood sugars have been pretty stellar too, considering the fact that she has been immune-compromised. Giant sigh of relief... ahhhhhhhhhhh.
Things have actually been the best ever with regards to Jenna's blood sugar readings. We have been slowly and methodically adjusting and fine-tuning all the variables on Jenna's pump... and there are many variables to adjust! It seems all our fine-tuning is paying off. We are seeing numbers that are well within our target ranges. I'm feeling rather accomplished as an insulin pump operator, actually!
I must add that accurate carb counting is partly to thank for this success. I began carb counting well before Jenna started on the pump in preparation for it. However, I wasn't as meticulous about it before the pump as I have had to be since. Likely because it is not the easiest or most convenient thing to do and since it wasn't crucial, I wasn't as motivated to put in the time or effort. Thankfully, with practice comes proficiency and I'm far better at carb counts now than I was only a few short weeks ago. I have numerous food count reference books aligned neatly on my kitchen counter, well within reach and my trusty food scale and calculator are always at the ready.
Occasionally, however, I'm faced with a challenge and tonight was one of those times. Supper was pretty easy; I had made ham, potatoes au gratin and broccoli. The potatoes were a minor challenge, but I just weighed Jenna`s portion and used a carb factor I use for mashed potato to calculate the carb count.
Dessert tonight was an unexpected challenge. I had bought a bag of imported Italian wafer cookies at a quaint little country market a few miles out of town earlier in the day. I figured a couple of these cookies would be a nice little way to cap off the meal without blowing Jenna's sugars out of the water and having to bolus the crud out of her afterward. Problem was the nutritional info was in Italian!
Now, I have a few years of French education under my belt so I can occasionally fake my way through some rough translation of certain words in Spanish and Italian. I had no trouble finding the "carboidrati" count, but problems arose when under the "per wafer" column two values were listed; 4.5 and 2.5. So which one was it? The second figure was labelled "di cui zuccheri". What the heck is that?
So my husband and I looked at each other with matching "...what the...?" faces and then, like a superhero being summoned to the scene of a crime, I dashed downstairs to the computer to do some rapid research. Super Mommy to the rescue! (Can you tell, I've been exposed to far too many viewings of The Incredibles lately?) I Googled Italian-English translation and found a site that helped me decode my bag of wafer cookies. The phrase translates as "...of which is sugar". Case solved. Back upstairs I sprinted feeling rather clever and dessert was served to a couple of very delighted little girls.
Tonight we can rest easy in the knowledge that the accuracy of our carb counting remains uncompromised and feeling relatively confident that Jenna has received just the right amount of insulin to see her through the night.
After proof-reading this entry, I'm left to ponder the possibility that this demon-driven desire to achieve an accurate carb count is becoming somewhat of an obsession with me. I mean, a couple of carbs shouldn't impact things that much. But, I must be doing something right, given Jenna's excellent blood sugar readings. Hey, she's my baby and I'm going to do whatever it takes to keep her as healthy as I can for as long as it's in my hands to do so. If I obsess, it is with very good reason... and without apology.