Thursday, August 26, 2010

Let Them Eat Cake!


This D-Feast Friday is a tribute to people who can’t digest gluten.  It is a gluten free chocolate cake recipe using quinoa (pronounced keen-wa)!  A friend forwarded me the link and I admit, I was skeptical.  But I was also intrigued.

The only problem I have with the recipe is the fat.  If my calculations are correct the fat content per serving, if a serving is 1/12 of the cake, would be about 11 grams.  The carb count per serving is 33 grams.

If I were to make the cake again I would reduce the butter to 1/2 cup and the sugar to 1 cup.  That would reduce the fat content per 1/12 of the cake to about 7 grams and the carb count to about 25 grams.  I suspect the end result wouldn’t be affected much by this tweaking.

The cake was quite good.  It was incredibly moist.  In fact, it could almost be classified as a pudding rather than a cake.  But if it’s chocolate you are craving, this will satisfy.

I dusted the top with icing sugar to pretty it up a bit.  I also got busy with my paring knife and made these fancy-schmancy strawberry garnishes!

So here’s the link where you can find the recipe and here’s a picture to tantalize you:


Have a fabulous weekend everyone!

4 comments:

Karen said...

Oh my gosh, that looks SO GOOD!!!!!

FatCatAnna said...

Oh that cake looks so good - I'm going to give this a go when I come back from my holidays. I now do have an oven onboard Jenna's Journey - but due to limited places to find compressed natural gas which powers our stove in our galley - I'm having to be careful as I have to make the tank last the whole 3 weeks. It's either coffee or cake - darn I like both - especially your recipe!!!

Lorraine of "This is Caleb..." said...

Looks fabulous and moist is the only way I like my cakes. Yummo!

Lee Ann Thill said...

It really does look good! I don't think I've heard of desserts using quinoa, although I suppose it isn't exactly something one would stumble upon easily. Very surprising that quinoa could become that!