Friday, October 1, 2010

D-Feast Friday!

Here’s a recipe that has been in my sights to make for some time.  Now that Fall has arrived I can’t think of a better time to fire up my oven and roast up some squash, apples and garlic to make this fragrant and flavourful soup.  So this is what’s on the menu this weekend at our house!  Care to be adventurous and try it with me?

Roasted Squash & Apple Soup


3 lbs squash
2 medium apples, halved and cored
1 head garlic
4 cups chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of nutmeg
Sprigs of fresh thyme for garnish

Cut squash in half, scoop out seeds and place cut side down on a parchment lined baking sheet.

Cut garlic head in half and place cut side down with squash on baking sheet.

Place apples cut side down on baking sheet as well.

Bake at 350º for 35-40 minutes.

Scoop squash and apples from skins and place in saucepan.  Squeeze roasted garlic halves from their skins into saucepan as well.  Add 3 cups of the chicken stock and with an immersion blender, blend until smooth.  Add more stock to achieve desired consistency.  Heat then add salt and pepper to taste.  Add nutmeg.

Garnish each serving with a sprig of thyme, if you are so inclined.

Serves 6

5 comments:

Unknown said...

OK, I am doing it tonight! I have all of the ingredients!!! I am so excited. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks.

FatCatAnna said...

Oh this is something I want to make this Fall. I have a spaghetti squash I picked up last week (that's tonights din din) - and an acorn squash for Thanksgiving. I'm thinking butternut squash is going to be going into this soup recipe of yours (do you grow your own squash?).
!

Lorraine of "This is Caleb..." said...

So ladies....how did it turn out?

Sherry said...

Mine turned out lovely (although, I did have to roast things for a little longer than the stated 35-40 minutes. I also used a blender to puree the roasted squash, apples and garlic with some of the chicken stock. But it was quite tasty and light! I'd make it again.

Unknown said...

Ditto on what Sherry said...I needed to roast the squash a little longer than 45 minutes and I too used the blender. I loved the light taste. My kids ate it, but weren't overly into it. I would make it again for me...I like that it is low in calories.